Friday, September 4, 2009

"To bake, or not to bake?" and other rap songs in the making

The end of the fourth week.

Today, like any other day, was full of ups and downs. Teaching is great because it really helps you to appreciate the positive things around you. If you do not, then it’s easy to get disillusioned. Things can go bad. But when they are good, they feel very good—and you remember why it’s all worth it.

My day started off well. I ran a math jeopardy game in my first period class in order for them to get practice working on some of the concepts before their assessments next week. The categories included topics such as functions, substitution, and graphs. I also included a “surprise” category and another one called “My patnas n dem” (the name of a local rap hit). In the latter category, I asked questions about public figures and role models. The prize for the game was that the winning group would be able to decide what snack I would bring the class next week. They decided on cupcakes. I wonder if I should buy or bake…

When I went into my next class, things seemed to be normal. The next thing I know, I saw like 5 cops outside in the hallway—one with a bulletproof vest on. Then they started running down the hallway. Intense. I do not know what was going on, but it did not seem like something I wanted to be close to.

During my planning period, I was in a pretty good mood as I jammed Pandora, set up my classroom, and kept thinking about the three day weekend. As my social skills class started, it seemed like it would be good. The students were working on the warm up. And then, well, old problems resurfaced. A final student came in late, and the big three were reunited.

Things happened. I had to give the “I’m disappointed and this is not a joke” speech to the class, followed up by the “do not waste your time and stop playing games with your lives” addendum. Still, I ended up having to talk to a student outside. He made a threatening move at another teacher when her back was turned, so I had to send him out. I definitely will not tolerate disrespect like that. Another student decided he wanted to keep having the last word and almost threatening me. I put him out too. Another student decided he wanted to keep using loud inappropriate language regardless of consequences. He had to go as well. I think they are all suspended now.

After that, class was actually great. The students worked together in groups and presented to the rest of the class. They did try to figure out how old I was again. They also tried to ask about my dating life (“Are you married?” and “Do you like interracial relationships?” were two of their questions). I simply told them that I was not going to discuss my dating life with them and that they did not need to know how old I was. When they asked me if I had any kids, I said no, but then a girl said, “We are your kids.” Another girl said, “nuh-uh!” I laughed, and then we moved on. A girl also said she would pray for me again when she saw me start to dance. I also started trying to make an educational rap for them. They did not like the versions I tried out today, but I will have one ready for them next week!

They are a good group of kids, and I really enjoy working with them. Some of the students are doing a job placement program, so I won’t actually have them after Labor Day. Hopefully, I’ll still see them around so I can see if they’re making good progress.

I am going to my school’s football game tonight. We have won both of our games this season so far, so hopefully we will keep that record! Time to take a nap before the game. Exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment