Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's not personal, just business.

Today, the seniors had to take a writing test for graduation. While they took the test, the freshmen and sophomores took practice tests in order to prepare for their junior year. I sat over a class of sophomores during this time period. It was…interesting? Imagine a group of kids, many of whom that I do not know at all, stuck in a room for a couple of hours taking a test that they believe does not matter at all. It was quite the adventure.

Before the test, I outlined my expectations: no cell phones—if I see it, I take it; if you do not want to give it to me, then you can go down to the office and eventually give it up and have to pay to get it back. No talking. No food or drink. Pretty standard stuff that they hear just about every day. Somewhere, somehow, they decided that it was too much to ask.

Like I said, I did not know the kids. I did not know most of their names, and I could not call their parents since I had no phone numbers (believe me, just because you ask a student for the number, that does not mean you will get the right one). I also knew that I could not put half the class out. Therefore, I relied on a series of calling people out in the hallway, telling people to stand outside, and moving people to different seats. I will, however, give a few highlights:

• A student decided she did not want to give me her cellphone, and I had to walk her all the way to the infractions room. I told them that she was not to leave without giving up her phone and being required to pay for it in order to get it back.
• A student got up, and I asked him what he was doing. His response: “Ain’t none of your business.” I pulled him outside to have a conversation.
• This same student told me to “shut up” later on. I sent him down to the infractions room, and another teacher called his mom later.
• A student asked me, “how did you get that thing on your forehead?”
• I had to put multiple students out of my classroom that just walked in from God knows where. All I know is that they had no business being in my class room.
• A student told me she hated me as she walked out the door. I smiled and told her to have a nice day.

It was not the best couple of hours of my life, but I got through it. I stayed on them, kept reinforcing my expectations, and took nothing personally. Do not take it personally—it will tear you up inside.

On the other hand, my social skills period went well. The students enjoyed the period, and I got really excited when talking about leadership and authority. We were talking about who gave Barack Obama his authority as President. One student answered, “Congress?” Another student, “the Supreme court?” “No!” I responded to both. “From whom does the President get his authority?” I asked again.

Finally, one student says, rather hesitantly, “From me?” “Yes,” I said. Then another student, “From me!” “Yes!” “From me!” “Yes!!! Anybody else?” “From him?” (pointing). “Yes!” At this point, I was standing. Then, jumping up and down, I started screaming and pointing: “From you, and you, and you, and you, and from me!!!” “Mr. Seegars, why are you always acting like you’re in church?”

I must say, something did take hold of me. I was so excited in that moment, and I got swept up in a wave of emotion that consisted of love and hope for my students. And, yes, I did take that personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment