Sunday, August 8, 2010

The night before the first day of school (revisited)

So, last year I wrote my first blog around this time. I wrote about how reflective I was before the first day of school and all that jazz. My, how things change...

Well, I am reflective. There is a lot I want to do this year--there are a lot of things I did not get right last year that I really want to get right this year. I did not utilize the co-teaching model effectively. I have to co-teach a lot this year, and getting co-teaching right is a huge priority. It can be very effective, and the kids I serve deserve my support to the fullest.

I also want to be more organized. Not only am I trying to move my kids more than I did last year, but, realistically, I am also going to be involved in transitioning to the next stage in my life. Now, I could lie and say that I will only be worried about teaching, but I am getting too old to be dishonest with myself. I will not put myself in a situation where it is June and I am unemployed and unprepared to begin a life in singing and acting (which is hard enough to break into as it is). So, yes, I will be making waves toward that end as well.

I also, as many of my friends know, love politics. I did some political writing in college, and I plan to get more involved in that this year. There are some really exciting projects in the works, and I definitely want to put my two cents in the debates facing our country and the world. More on this later, though.

Let's get back to education. So, yes, I am excited about this year. Excited about getting co-teaching right, excited about mock trial (woot woot!), and excited about pushing my kids to the next level as well as having the opportunity to learn from them.

I am, however, also nervous.

Not for the reasons you think. I've been practicing my Joe Clark speech all weekend, and I already have my first week planned.

I am nervous because I STILL HAVE A HUGE STYE ON MY EYE! (tragic.) Now, I love my birthmark, but it already gets me enough stares. Do I really need something else to draw attention to my youthful looking face? Especially when I teach people who look the same age as me?

So here we go, the night before my first day of school, and what's bothering me the most is my stye.

Lumumba, sit down. Mr. Seegars, rise up.

No comments:

Post a Comment