Monday, February 22, 2010

Afternoon Treat!

Today I gave myself a little treat. But we will get to that later.

The day started off not so well. I have been having attendance issues with my first period class, and today the majority of the students were not there. That’s an understatement, actually. Only one student made it before we were told not to let any more students in. Yep.

So, I still conducted class as usual, but I also took it as an opportunity to do a little mentoring. I have had some discipline issues with this student, so I tried to figure out things he was interested in while he completed the warm up. It just so happens that I had this student in mind when I was creating the worksheet for that class period. Therefore, I actually had different sports and pop culture references on the charts that I made (we were doing variance and standard deviation). We still had some issues, but I think I am building a closer relationship with him. I’ll see how it goes.

Now back to my treat. During my planning period, I had a little extra time since it is also my lunch period. I talked to the choir teacher a while ago about observing a rehearsal, and I finally did it today! It was really great to watch the choir teacher work with the students. It reminded me of when I was in high school and was fortunate enough to spend at least 3 hours (usually much more than that!) each day studying music. I enjoyed hearing them sing and watching her talk technique with them. I definitely plan on observing them again.

My last period went well. The students are still enjoying the book. I can definitely see the students start to grow in their ability to comprehend different aspects of the book.

Ahh, my roommate made tacos tonight, so it is time for me to go grub!

No comments:

Post a Comment