Thursday, August 20, 2009

Steve Urkel and getting cursed at

So, I was going to wait until tomorrow to blog again, but I had to write an entry today. The day started off well, especially considering my end to yesterday. In the first class I taught, I was trying to explain to kids the properties of functions by imitating Steve Urkel (the input) going into the cloning machine (the equation) and coming out as Stephan (the output)! When I jumped out of the “machine,” I even tried to make my voice deeper. They started to understand it a little more, and I was happy to finally feel a sense of comfort as I tried to come up with creative ways to teach students.

Then, the final period of the day happened. I am not going to really go into the story in too much detail. Basically, I saw that a student had not been during his work throughout class, so I asked him to come talk to me outside. I just wanted to see what was going on. He decided that he did not want to walk outside. After a few more requests and involving a hall monitor, the student eventually got upset to the point in which he said in reference to me: “I’m gonna beat his a**”.

My co-teacher immediately told him to get out, and when he got up I noticed that he was a good deal taller than me. I told him that he definitely would not be talking to me like that (probably the first time this year I’ve really raised my voice, since I usually find lowering it more effective). I had to tell the students to sit back down as they tried to see what was going on while he left the room. This was probably since he was still verbalizing how angry he was with me as well as pacing back and forward. The security guard eventually came, and it was handled.

What a way to end the day.

2 comments: